Barnhart Brothers & Spindler
Barnhart Brothers & Spindler was formed from the Great Western Foundry, which was bought in 1869 by the four Barnhart Brothers, who ran the business with the help of Charles E. Spindler, Toepfer's plant manager. It was incorporated as Barnhart Brothers & Spindler in 1883.
The company grew steadily, with eight branches and a catalogue of about a hundred typefaces. In 1892 they were asked to join the new alliance of American type foundries, but they resisted until 1911 when they finally joined ATF on condition that they continued to operate under their own name. The branches finally closed in 1929 when the company ceased to exist as a separate entity.