Typoart was the only metal type foundry of East Germany. It was created in Dresden in 1948 by the government of the German Democratic Republic by merging several nationalised type foundries, including Schelter & Giesecke.
Its principal mission was to create typefaces for Eastern Germany and other Eastern Bloc countries, and these were often copied from Western typefaces to avoid license fees.
In 1989 when Germany was reunified, Typoart was privatised as Typoart GmbH, and it continued trading until 1995. Some of the typefaces have since been digitised by other type publishers.
Digital revivals of fonts published by Typoart: