Ludwig & Mayer (1875-1984)
Ludwig & Mayer was a type foundry in Frankfurt.
The company was founded in 1875 as the type foundry C. J. Ludwig by Jean Noel Carl Ludwig. Louis Mayer joined as a partner in 1883, and the company was renamed Ludwig & Mayer. During World War II the plant was destroyed, but it was rebuilt in the post-war years, and by the 1950s the company ranked among the leading foundries in Germany.
Many well-known typographers worked for Ludwig & Mayer, including Fritz Helmuth Ehmcke, Jacob Erbar, Karl Georg Hoefer, Walter Mockingly, and Ilse Schüle.
The company closed in 1984/85 and the rights to the most successful fonts were acquired by the Barcelona-based foundry Neufville.